This test evaluates single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in genes that modulate methylation, glutathione conjugation, oxidative protection and the potential to evaluate vascular oxidation.
The test uncovers potential genetic susceptibility to:
- Neurodegenerative Disorders
- Developmental Issues
- Mood Disorders
- Oxidative Stress
- Detoxification Capacity
What is being measured
- MTHFR (methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase)
- COMT (catechol-O-methyltransferase)
These genes affect how homocysteine and methionine are metabolized to support formation of S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe). The ability to donate methyl groups affects neurologic function and is modifiable by proper B-vitamin intake.
- GSTM (glutathione-s-transferase, M, isoforum)
- GSTP (glutathione-s-transferase, P, isoforum)
These genes are responsible for detoxifying products of oxidative stress and carcinogens. Variants decrease detoxification capacity.
- SOD-2 (Superoxide dismutase -2)
These genetic variants alter anti-oxidant enzyme activity and modify requirements for anti-oxidants.